1 Cup warm almond milk (or any dairy alternative)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (or one packet)
3 large eggs (You can use flax eggs if you want to make this vegan)
1/2 cup softened Earth Balance spread (This)
4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
1 cup Enjoy Life chips
1. Combine warm milk, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add yeast and let sit until frothy (approx. 5 minutes). You want your milk around 105-110 degrees so that it proofs well.
2. Add in the softened butter and 2 of the eggs and mix. Note: one egg will be saved to be brushed on the top before baking.
3. Gradually add in the flour 1 cup at a time. Add the last half cup and knead in the bowl until it’s incorporated. Turn dough out on a floured surface and kneed for 7 minutes.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it. Let it rise in a warm place for one hour, or until doubled. (If you need to create a warm, draft free place, turn your oven one for one minute. Turn it off, and pace your covered dough inside.)
5. Split the dough into two balls. Kneed 1/2 cup of chips into each ball. Split each dough ball into three pieces and roll each into 12 inch long “snakes”. Braid three snakes together for each loaf. Make sure to pinch the ends and tuck them under to be sure it doesn’t come apart while baking.
Something I should have done differently is to make a looser braid so that the dough had room to expand while it was cooking.
6. Beat the remaining egg and brush the top of each loaf.
7. Cover the loafs and let rise for 30 minutes.
8. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees
I love these baking mats. NOTHING sticks to them!! If you bake a lot, I cannot recommend them enough.
Let me know what you think if you try it!